Monday, November 26, 2007

Patient Painting


Untitled work in progress
When you lay down thin washes of paint, letting each coat dry before applying the next, you get optic mixing of colors which has a more luminous quality than straight mixing of wet paint. That's the theory at least. I had almost forgotten about glazing, having not used it since Painting 100. But it started to creep into my work during the thesis as a way to create cast shadows. In this new piece, I decided to embrace it entirely- after looking it up to make sure I was doing it right.


You can see in the close-up how the colors come through and mix visually. So far there is a wash of viridian green, alizarin crimson, and ultramarine blue. This still isn't finished... I will do at least 2 more glazes in some areas. In this cold weather, it can take 2 weeks for the paint to dry between coats. I'm trying to start another work while I'm waiting!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your new layered look!

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home