Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Thesis: DADA

EXCERPT:
In my own (thesis) work, I have chosen to embrace technology only to a limited extent; in part, because I hate working on a computer all day (and I can’t even imagine having someone else paint for me) and also because I feel that the artist’s touch is indeed one of the things which gives art its ultimate raison d’être. This reasoning was especially important when representing the man-made objects in the paintings. For example, when I wanted to draw train tracks or a fence with straight lines, I deliberately avoided the use of rulers. My hope was that by “eyeballing it” the final result would be an industrial-inspired pattern which had subtle variations, as opposed to the perfection which is the default for things made by machines. I tried, by intentionally limiting tools and techniques which could lead to perfect reproduction, to show the viewer a world as only an artist could create it. To use a computer, in particular, one would have to program in any imperfections- an extra step necessary to force the machine into an awkward and unnatural state. Art, on the other hand, should celebrate the fact that it is fully liberated from the need to reproduce with exactitude.

I think the title of this piece will be www.artmutt.blogspot.com, since it says that on the DADA sign. The circle of merchandising is complete! As for the painting, it's almost done.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Wesley Babb said...

The technological crutch should be avoided by aspiring artists.
In reality art is a representation not a synthesization of technology. It would pain me to see a glassblowing cartoonist / sceptic cynic using computers and rulers to define her work. The antonym, complete loss of design modifications... and who needs a straight line anyway. Is that not the test... Susan's drawn lines are damn straight, the mind can imagine a crooked line being composed and correct. As a witness of Susan's art for a decade, I feel as an individual, that she is a woman Charles fucking Shultz who has more life and art left in her than the Democratic Party electorates for the next 200 years. Bad democrats, bad......

1:47 PM  
Blogger Bjornbloodhand said...

Oh, i really like this one, I hadn't seen this one yet.
-jeffrey

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home