Sunday, October 16, 2005

Winning the War of Hearts and Minds

Well, I think this piece is pretty much done- at least for now, as I hope it will be dry in time for a show at the end of this month! After sketching several different expressions, I decided the blank face said it better. Does the rabbit hitting itself in the head with a bat represent a war supporter? An anti-Bush peace demonstrator? An Iraqi? (Or is he about to hit someone else?) I felt a facial expression would give away the answer, so don't try and ask me which one it is- I wanted ambiguity. It will be displayed with this (or similar) audio track.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lime Rick said...

I agree that the ambiguity makes more sense. It's like considering Goya, where time provides the ambiguity. Good art transcends its historical context, which can only inform our understanding, not replace it.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Barbara G. said...

Susan,
How big is the wabbit? I think I like this very much.
Strickly from a formal point of view it is very alive and takes the page. Contexturally it is strong and it's significance is not so mysterious that we can not
imagine what you mean, one way or another. The fact is perfect....I must say Guston would have appauded it. I just hope it is one a real surface like
canvas to support the weight of the message!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Dan J said...

I hope he is pounding the hell out of something. Get those assholes!
You feel my alienation. Painting with gut juice again hunh; Senselessness taken to a high level. My highest praise.
It is, I think the only way to paint. Take all that external crap in, until it explodes out your belly. Bypass the brain. You take me back to 70’s Philadelphia Jazz they played like they had too OR they would die, Philip Guston He died trying--- Art as emergency! My favorate. You want art emergency? RIZE a straight ahead Movie, see on DVD just out it’s a documentary. Clowns!?

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Andrew the Great said...

Bugs Bunny meets 'Lil Slugger from "Paranoia Agent"

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home